Submitted by Campbell's Kitchen at Allrecipes.com
Here's a new recipe to try that will feed a family of five for right around $5 if you do it right. I just made it for lunch today, and it's a keeper. Just click on the recipe title to find the full recipe.
Cost of ingredients:
- Extra pasta- I used an extra 1/3 of a box of pasta. I secured the box of American Beauty Quick Cook penne pasta for free a few weeks back by printing internet coupons that doubled to $1, the cost of the pasta. When you find sales like that and can get the coupons, I suggest filling your pantry.
- Sauce- Kroger brand "Meat Flavored" on sale for $1 last week. It was good and thick too!
- Frozen Kroger California blend veggies- $1.25 (I'll be stocking up to get them cheaper next time they go on sale though).
- Buitoni 3-Cheese Tortellini you saw in my 12/24 shopping vlog was $2.55 after my surprise electronic savings.
- Parmesan Cheese- No one in our house likes it, so we skipped it= free.
I added a little of the penne pasta to stretch the recipe because my Buitoni package seemed a little small. It made for a nice blend of pastas. A quick and easy side idea would be to butter a few pieces of bread, sprinkle with some garlic powder, and broil in the oven a couple of minutes until toasted. I've also tried it with leftover hot dog and hamburger buns. That always goes over great in our household.